Case Study 1 – 2/5/2011 Update

Case Study 1 – 2/5/2011 Update

Well, friends, I’m back again with another update on my first case study!  (If this is your first stop on my website, you can read more about the case study I’m doing on BuildMyRank.com by navigating to the “Case Study 1” section on the main navigation bar.)

I don’t have a lot to report today, so I’m going to keep this post short and sweet.  Over the past week, I posted 24 links to BuildMyRank, although not all of them have gone live yet, and of those that have gone live, not all are indexed.  My posts this week focused primarily on my main site keywords.  Last week, I did some links to sub-pages on my site, but since I might be changing the content around, I don’t want to link to those pages too heavily.

I also put in requests to have three posts written by BuildMyRank writers.  I don’t have these back yet, but I’m curious to see the results.  I mentioned last week that BMR gives you the option of having their staff writers put together posts for you at $2.50/link (equivalent to about 150 words).  This rate is slightly higher than what I usually outsource my content for (BMR comes out to $7.50/450 words, where I usually pay $5-6/500 words), so I’m hoping the quality is decent.  I’ll report back next week when the posts are done!

=========================

That said, here’s how things are shaping up on the rankings front…

Both keywords are still creeping up the rankings.  My main keyword hit a new high at position 23, but is currently chilling at position 24 after last week’s high of 25.  My domain keyword made it up another spot compared to position 36 last week, but still hasn’t gotten anywhere close to it’s top rank of position 20.

So unfortunately, there’s nothing super exciting to report this week.  My main keyword is inching closer to being on the second page of the SERPs, but I’m not sure how high it’ll make it using BuildMyRank exclusively.  If this was a normal site I was promoting, I’d be using many different link sources, including articles, Web 2.0 sites, press releases, etc.  I’m wondering if the slow progress up the rankings might be due, at least in some part, to the fact that I’m currently only adding blog links.

In addition, the first page of the Google results for this keyword is made up of high PR sites from large retailers (think Target, Walmart, Joanns, etc). Obviously, my site is more optimized for the specific keyword than these giant sites are, but it will be interesting to see how high I’m able to go with these sites as my main competitors.

On the other hand, the site’s earnings do seem to be increasing with this jump in rankings.  Overall, the site earned $23.38 in January, compared with $11.37 in December.  Clearly, that’s not enough time to determine if earnings overall are going up or if January was just a good month, but it’s an encouraging sign.  (And yeah, I get it – this site probably isn’t going to make me rich, but big, profitable sites have to start somewhere!)

=========================

So what’s next?  I’ll have three more weeks of updates on this case study until my month subscription to BuildMyRank expires.  If all goes well, I think I’ll probably start to put more effort into expanding this site, as it hasn’t had new content added since it was first launched.  There are plenty of new product reviews I could add to the site, and I’d like to add an article section to the site as well.  To do this, I’m probably going to need to invest some time doing market research on the products in brick-and-mortar stores, since I’m not an active participant in the niche.

I’m also in the process of putting together the next case study, which will launch in early March.  I can’t say a lot yet, but I’m really excited about this one.  It’s going to be much more interactive and much larger in scope, so I hope you’ll check back to learn more about it.  I’ll be making the big announcement in a week or two here – you won’t want to miss it!  🙂

2 Responses to Case Study 1 – 2/5/2011 Update

  1. Jon says:

    Looks like a win. You built your 24 links that you set out to create for the week and you inched up the rankings. Plus it’s earning money so there’s proof of concept right there.

    Your system is clearly working. Now I’m looking forward to reading your take on the writing you’ve outsourced.

    • Sarah says:

      Yeah, so far I’m definitely pleased with the BuildMyRank results. I think that expanding the site’s content and backlinking strategies once the case study is over is really going to make a difference as well in terms of rankings.

      Pretty excited about this one 🙂

Leave a Reply