UPDATE 3/21/2012 – As of March 19th, 2012, Build My Rank’s network has been deindexed by Google, resulting in the service being suspended indefinitely. I will keep you posted if/when the service reopens for operation.
Last Tuesday, I mentioned that I’m going to be doing a case study on BuildMyRank.com to see if it’s as effective as Linkvana at boosting site rankings. In this post, I just wanted to give you some background information about what I’m going to be testing in this case study and how I’ll be measuring my results.
But first, a little more info on my business so that you can see how this test will fit in to my overall business strategy…
Like I’ve mentioned on here before, most of my business now is in affiliate niche marketing sites. Last summer, I sold off several of my profitable sites to pay for my wedding (oh my gosh – you would *not* believe how much those things cost!!!). So now I’m in the process of rebuilding my portfolio of affiliate marketing sites, and one of the ways I’m doing that is by going back through some old sites I built that haven’t done much yet to see if I can turn them into winners.
For this case study, I’m going to use a scrapbooking site that I’ve had for about a year now (Edit 1/6/2012 – After a request from BuildMyRank, I’ve removed all references to the specific site and its keywords. Thanks for understanding!). The site is built on WordPress, and it currently promotes six separate scrapbooking products. I did a little link building to this site when I first had it built, and I’ve posted a few articles since then, but the total promotion for this site is something like one Squidoo lens, five live articles on EzineArticles and social media bookmarks to each of these links (aka – next to no promotion at all).
However, despite the fact that I’ve put maybe five hours of promotion into the site over the last year, it’s generated over $120 in Amazon affiliate commissions. In fact, the last few months, it’s been picking up steam and earning an average of $10-$30/month.
Yeah, so the site isn’t exactly making me rich, but the cool thing is that these earnings have been generated entirely through the articles I’ve posted over the last year, as the site isn’t ranked highly for its targeted keywords. All of the sales this site has made have been entirely passive. And, ideally, if the site were ranking higher, these earnings would go up as well, without a ton more effort on my part.
Here are the site’s current rankings, as of 1/13/2011:
(As you’ve probably noticed, I’m not linking to the site from this blog, and I’m doing my best to minimize the number of times I mention my niche or my target keywords in print. I’m doing this to keep the traffic stats to that site as clean as possible, in case I ever want to sell it in the future.)
Anyways, so now that you know what I’m working with, here’s how I’m going to test BuildMyRank.com to see if I can get this site any higher in the search engine results pages (SERPs)…
BuildMyRank is a one-way backlinking service, that similar to Linkvana (which I’ve used before and love, but that’s so gosh-darned expensive!). Building backlinks from relevant, high quality sites that utilize keyword-driven anchor text is a great way to improve SEO and increase rankings. Services like BuildMyRank and Linkvana help website owners achieve these goals by posting their participants’ links on their network of related blogs.
BuildMyRank is currently offering a 15-day free trial where you get 10 free links, but for me, that’s not enough time to really gauge how effective the service is. So I’ll be running this test for at least one month beyond the free trial, or at least 45 days. Because I’ll be starting at their lowest tier of service (1-5 domains), the cost of this trial will be $59.
During this month, I’ll be posting between 3-5 links a day on BuildMyRank’s network of niche sites, although BuildMyRank allows you to build as many as 10 links a day, per domain. The reason for this limit is to make the links appear as natural as possible to the search engines. Because my site has been established for some time, I can get away with adding more links each day. If the site I was promoting was new, I’d limit the number of links posted each day even further.
So one of my first steps will be to write the content needed to post links to BuildMyRank. The site requires 150 words of content per link, but I generally don’t like to post articles that are under 300-400 words, as the search engines generally tend to favor longer articles. BuildMyRank does offer an in-house writing team to which you can outsource your article writing, but since I’m picky about content and to keep the cost of this case study low, I’ll be doing my own writing.
As you can see, I’ve got quite a bit of writing ahead of me!
The other first step for this case study is to get my account set up with BuildMyRank. I’ve already taken care of this, and can confirm that the process was pretty quick and easy. All you have to do is enter some information about your domain and the keywords you plan to target as a new project. The project does need to be approved by BuildMyRank’s staff (presumably to filter out sites with inappropriate content), but it only took a few hours for this to be completed for my site.
I’m planning to post updates to this case study on Saturdays, so as not to interfere with the other content I have planned for this site during the week. I’ll be back next Saturday with more details on how everything’s going!
Thanks for reading 🙂