Since I am using a site that I started and abandoned (the DW718.com, if I haven’t mentioned it before) this week my goal was to check that the WordPress installation was up to date (it wasn’t) and that the plug-ins were correct and configured (they weren’t).
The plugins I have installed on the site are:
All in One SEO Pack – To help with the on site search engine optimization. I had Platinum SEO on here as I had heard that it is a good option, but since I don’t really know how to use it, I replaced it. All in One SEO is pretty straight forward to use, and since I have used it before I went back to it.
Fast Secure Contact Form – Again, I know Contact Form 7 is a popular choice, but I have used Fast Secure Contact Form before. It is easy to set up and has Captcha for spam protection.
Google XML Sitemaps – Got me, but everyone says you need to have a site map, and this is the one to use.
WP Super Cache – I decided to try this out on this site. It is supposed to cut down on the load times. It seems that I have also heard that having too many plugins on a site can slow things down, so this may be a wash.
I will keep my eyes open for something similar to what I have now, but simple and straight forward so I can edit it. I am using a free theme that Matt Carter had designed for affiliate sites. It does a lot of neat stuff, but it is has a lot of options in it’s coding that make it quite difficult to modify.
At the time I set the site up I was into spending a lot of time learning to modify a site. I did something similar with the 2010 theme on a sister site, and since I don’t have time to diagnose the bugs I have been made aware of there, I will be replacing that theme as well.
The project for the coming week will be to finally write the review that stalled this project in the first place. At that point I will have accomplished one of the two main goals I had when I joined this challenge.